Sunday, January 27, 2013

Upstate Style








Cute, right?  Simple, right?  Not in these parts!


We ventured out into the frozen tundra that is the northeast for just a bit today.  It's Sunday and I had dedicated this day to sweatpants, sweatshirts, fuzzy socks and no make up.  I did shower, so I am clean and my hair is combed (even the back..I do own a handheld mirror to check), however I knew I would not be exiting my car, even though, come to see, I would probably be looking much better than the people wandering around in public today.  Now don't get me wrong...I am no style star by any stretch of the imagination, but the outfits I saw out in public in my area seriously makes me scratch my head and wonder...what are they thinking?!?!   As you read through, this is for both men and women.  There doesn't seem to be a difference in that department around here.

Hair
Let me start with hair.  OK, clearly some people are not washing their hair in the morning...I understand, maybe they wash at night...but don't you look in the mirror before leaving your house for the first time each day?  Well some people need to start looking at the BACK of their heads.  I saw combed and clean looking heads of hair coming at me, then nesty, frizzy bed head walking away from me.  I swear that some of the backs of heads I saw today would reach out and touch someone walking behind them.

Jackets
When I dream of a new winter jacket I start looking at things like shearling, The North Face, and wool, to name a few.  While North Face does seem to be popular just about everywhere, including here, so does anything and everything made out of camouflage and/or your favorite football or Nascar team.  That seems to be the outerwear of choice in upstate New York.  I didn't realize just how many items were produced with camo and/or team logos.  Up here there is an endless parade of hats, jackets, t-shirts, sweatshirts, pants, socks and even cars all adorned with such things.  Who knew?

Jeans
I say jeans and not pants because unless someone is coming or going from their office job (and who am I kidding, they are probably wearing jeans too), everyone is in jeans around here...all the time (except for the select few that regularly wander around in public in their flannel pajama bottoms).  That sounds normal right?  There are plenty of cute jeans out there that flatter all kinds of shapes and sizes so what's so odd about jeans you ask?  Well, it's the one and only brand that seems to make it's way into Fulton County...Wranglers.  I am not talking about just on men either.  I regularly see them on women as well.  What is the reason that Wrangler jeans are so popular up here?  I seriously don't get it.  We aren't cowboys in Texas wrangling horses.

Boots
We're deep into winter so it seems about right I would mention boots.  What you probably didn't realize is that I could write about boots even if it were mid-July!  Work boots seem to be the crowning glory of fashion around here year round.  They are worn with Wrangler jeans, sweatpants and shorts....with and without socks.  Hot right? 

You think we can't see you but we can!
What do you "wrangle" in these?
The upstate "Ugg"


     

5 comments:

  1. I'm OK with any jeans BUT just make sure they are the right size! Don't get the pj thing though . . .

    ReplyDelete
  2. My mom, sister and I went on a cruise in November. In no way are we slaves to fashion etc, but like you, we found people's choices very interesting. We thought What not to wear would have enough material for a year! For people who need better boots and jackets, now is the time, they are all on sale!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fabulously fascinating. Have a marvelous Monday.
    Best wishes Molly

    ReplyDelete
  4. My mom always looks like a yeti when she goes away with me.
    I'm your new follower, Arno, and I would be very pleased if you join my blog too! So I hope to see you soon!
    Nice regards
    Arno

    ReplyDelete
  5. Were you in my closet?

    ReplyDelete