Friday, March 8, 2013

A Whole New Casual Friday

I really can't believe what I just read!  Today I stumbled upon an article from The Daytona Beach News Journal about how one particular company in Florida has casual Fridays (yes, like many companies), but with BEER!  There is an actual beer cart that comes around as a reward for work well done that week.  To make this story even more strange, the business is a healthcare staffing company!  This idea seems so incredibly nuts to me.  I have some serious questions for and about the people in charge here.

1. The article says the employees stay longer on "Beer Fridays" and get more work done.  How much quality work is actually getting done in that time?  I know after I have a beer, I am not going to be quite as motivated to crank out some more work late on a Friday night.

2.  Why would a supposedly responsible employer be promoting drinking in a society where we have so many people with addictions, financial issues and legal problems to begin with?  What about the worker who is a recovering alcoholic?  What about the worker who, after a beer at work, will go drink the night away with his/her coworkers?  What about driving home from work after Beer Friday?  Is everyone in the workplace over age 21? 

3.  Isn't there a line that should be drawn between your work life and your social life?  Doesn't that keep intact a level of professionalism?  Like going to work in your pajamas...it would just cross a line.

I have a social drink now and again.  I'm not uptight about drinking.  I am not even saying I cannot see what fun this would be at the end of a work week.  Sounds great to kick up your heels and relax with your colleagues.  I just think the risks far outweigh the payoff.   There is a time and a place for everything.  I think the last thing we all need is our boss rolling into our offices with a cooler full of Millers!  I would prefer wine anyway ;)

What are YOUR thoughts? 



3 comments:

  1. Over here not alot gets done on a Friday afternoon when people start to unwind getting ready for the weekend. Thus we don't see it as a bad idea and a bit of R&R together shouldn't do any harm. Everybody ends up down the pub anyway. Maybe it is our tradition here over the pond. Have a super Saturday.
    Best wishes Molly

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Murray! Here is Arno from Germany! I found you right now reading RA's blog! Would you like to be my friend? I don't drink beer, but I don't know if it is good to do this while working...
    I hobe to see you soon
    Nice regards
    Arno

    ReplyDelete
  3. Woof! Woof! Totally don't agree. Bad idea of Casual Friday. Do you remember we did about about this, http://www.sugarthegoldenretriever.com/2013/01/happy-aloha-friday-and-how-it-changed-fridays/
    It just not the way to end a work week. Totally disagree with this new idea. Lots of Golden Woofs, Sugar

    ReplyDelete