Friday, March 1, 2013

A Birthday Feast




This post seems kind of absurd being that not too long ago I was posting about new my health goals, but I didn't expect to travel the health route on my actual birthday, so I gave myself a free pass...and a free pass it was!

Appetizer
Raindancer Boneless Chicken Tenders with Garlic Parm Sauce and Blue Cheese:
OH MY WORD these are delish!  I don't know what or how they mix up that garlic parm sauce, but it's the best around (that is if you like garlic).  They don't soak the chicken in the sauce, but instead it comes with plain breaded chicken and a dipping container full of garlic parmesan sauce...so you can control just how much you want to dip.  I normally would not eat such an odorous item on a work night, but I threw caution to the wind and had a few.  I did kindly warn my coworkers this morning that I might stink!  Garlic has a way of sticking with you after washing and brushing your teeth!  Either I smelled OK or they were just being nice...but nobody went running from me!

Dinner
Raindancer Grilled Prime Rib and our own Homemade Wild Rice with Cream Cheese Sauce:
In my opinion, The Raindancer is one of the best places to get a good piece of prime rib.  They are simply just consistently good.  With a side of horseradish sauce, the whole thing is just perfect.

Early on in my relationship with Jamie I was introduced to his mother's rice with cream cheese sauce.  As far as I know, this was her own concoction.  It was an instant favorite of mine.  I even shared it in a cookbook my school put out.  Yes, I will share it here too.  I don't have ideas of holding family recipes hostage.  I think they should be shared and enjoyed.  It's very simple but very tasty.  All credit goes to my mother in law, Sandy.

1 box of wild rice cooked as directed 

For the Sauce:
Make a base of butter, flower and milk.  Melt 2 tablespoons of butter with 2 tablespoons of flour.  Pull off stove and add 3/4 cup of whole milk and the juice from a can of mushrooms.  Heat, stirring until thickened.  Add 1/2 to a whole (depending on taste...I prefer a whole) package of cream cheese, 1 can of shrimp and the mushrooms.  Stir until heated and mixed through.

Dessert
A secret gem is hidden in Gloversville.  I am sure Gloversville residents are aware, but anyone else may not be.  I am not so sure I should give this out...I feel like this is a much bigger secret than a family recipe, but here it goes...Rauch Bakery is the bomb!  All of their baked goods are great, but there is just something about their brownies!  I don't know if it's the nuts mixed in or the perfect texture frosting on top, but they are addicting!  Seriously and truly...stop in and try one (or anything).  You will not be disappointed.  From what I understand, you must get there early in the afternoon to have a shot at grabbing a few.  They sell out fast!    

Have I made you hungry yet?

2 comments:

  1. I am ready to make that rice NOW!!!

    Khyra's Mom
    P.S. and it is bedtime ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Drooling over the keyboard. Have a super Saturday.
    Best wishes Molly

    ReplyDelete